The following contents about the 1909 cornerstone come from the St. Anthony of Padua Church 50th anniversary book:

“On the corner property was a house suitable for parochial residence, and plans were drawn for a chruch to be erected on the property adjoining on the south, facing Ferguson Street. Tuesday, September 14, 1909, ground was broken for the new structure which was to be built of hard brick to the height of one story. By the middle of October, the foundation walls were finished, and the cornerstone was laid on Sunday afternoon, October 17, at 4 o’clock. It was a beautiful autumn afternoon when the first liturgical function took place in the new parish. Bishop Muldoon officiated, and he was assisted by Very Rev. Thomas Finn, Chancellor of the Rockford diocese, as deacon; the Rev. Martin J. McEvoy of St. Mary’s Church, Rockford, as sub-deacon; the Rev. B.X. O’Reilly, Chaplain of St. Anthony Hospital, Rockford, as master of ceremonies; Samuel Sassali as crossbearer and Anthony Cagni and Joseph Mazzuchelli as acolytes. The Rev. Joseph P. Joyce of Belvidere, the Rev. Julius Grzezinski of Rockford, the Rev. Horace D’Andrea of Chicago and Prof. G. Palmeri of Chicago were among those present. The Rt. Rev. Bishop first placed a box in the receptacle of the stone which contained a story of the beginning of the parish, some United States and Italian coins and several newspapers; the stone was then carefully cemented over, blessed and set in place.”



Recent Comments

    No Comments

    Leave a Reply